Sunday, January 2, 2022

Some Martian Odysseys!


The "Red Planet is the focus this month at the Dojo. I'll be looking at the planet Mars from a number of pop culture perspectives. 




First and foremost, will be the John Carter stories from Edgar Rice Burroughs. I'm reading the original trilogy again beginning with A Princess of Mars. This tells the story John Carter before the saga drifts off to regale us with his progeny. I'll be taking a look also at some of the comic book adaptations of the character from the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's. John Carter though the first of ERB's blood and thunder heroes was not as popular as Tarzan, but then no hero was as popular as the Lord of the Jungle save for Superman and Batman perhaps. His comic adventures were published by Dell, Gold Key, DC and Marvel. There are later versions by Dark Horse and others, but I doubt I'll have time for those. 


Also on the docket is The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells. In addition to the classic original novel of alien invasion I want to take a closer look at Marvel's ingenious comic adaptation from the 70's which is perhaps better known as Killraven these days. Marvel has just published the adventures in their Epic line and I'm eager to see how the stories look in nice bright color.


Note: Sadly there's been a delay in my Epic volume order, so I might have to resort to using the Essential volume to begin my reading. I hope not, but any port in a storm. 



In a double dose of the "Showcase Corner" is the Martian Manhunter. J'onn J'onz was in many ways the opposite figure to John Carter. He's the Martian who came to Earth and tried to find a way to fit into the society he chanced upon. Like Carter he was a "stranger in a strange land". (If I have time and I suspect I won't, I might even get around to Robert Heinlein's delightful novel of that name.) Martian Manhunter was the first Silver Age hero, appearing non-stop in the back of Detective Comics after his debut in 1955 and later in the House of Mystery. His adventures were mostly all written by Jack Miller and drawn with great skill by Joe Certa. Later Manhunter became a stalwart of the Justice League of America, standing in for the most part for Superman. When the Kryptonian was allowed to play in the JLA, Manhunter's role became tenuous, and he faded away for many years. 


Ray Bradbury is celebrated as a fine science fiction and fantasy writer and arguably his most famous work is The Martian Chronicles. This is a lyrical collection of short stories that framed together as a mosaic create a subtle understanding of an alien culture. Less subtle but interesting nonetheless is the television adaptation of the work starring Rock Hudson and Darren McGavin. Constrained by television budgets and 70's sci-fi aesthetics this is nonetheless a thoughtful presentation. 







And look for other Martians of all kinds both literary and cinematic to drop by in the Dojo this month which is dedicated to our nearest Solar neighbor. 





"The Sunday Funnies" returns to the Dojo and the comic strip up for review is the revolutionary Tarzan of the Apes. We will do them in chronological order beginning with the epic strips by Hal Foster and moving on to his successor Burne Hogarth. After that Russ Manning will take center stage. For those looking for more Turok Son of Stone, that feature will return next month with luck. 


It's a big ticket for the month and I might not make it, but as they say go big or go home. Meet you on Mars! 

Rip Off
 

9 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading more about Killraven. Those first few issue of "Amazing Adventures" issues when it was titled "War of the Worlds" really impressed me at the time especially the ( partially) illustrated first Neal Adams issue. In the UK ( as you may already be aware) they used some of the Killraven strips ( renaming it "Ape Slayer") to provide content to the successful Planet of the Apes weekly comic as they were short of material. Oh and the brilliant Marvin the Martian , I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marvin is awesome indeed. I did know about the Ape Slayer stuff but had forgotten until you mentioned it. I read it about it on a website dedicated to the Planet of the Apes.

      Delete
  2. I own the novel 'The Martian' by Andy Weir which was adapted into a movie in 2015. The novel was originally published in e-book form but it was re-published in hardback in 2014 and that's the version I've got. I was re-reading 'The Martian' only last summer but I've never seen the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Matt Damon movie I like. Not all of them trip my trigger but that one has some heft.

      Delete
  3. Couldn't agree more Rip. Colin try to see the movie if you can it's very good and it also has a few nice Bowie tunes for the soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A couple more items to consider: Doug Wildey's Martian Chronicles strips(I also like his Tarzan comics)and Alex Nino's War of the Worlds for Pendulum Press, reprinted by Marvel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly will. Doug Wildey's connection to the Martian Chronicles was something I was unaware of and learning about it makes this whole project worthwhile. Thanks amigo.

      Delete
    2. I do not own a copy of the Alex Nino version of WotW but I've seen it in the past. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete