Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Mars Is Wildey!


Before it was mentioned to me as a recommendation for this month I didn't know that Doug Wildey had done an adaptation of Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles. In point of fact he seems to have done an adaptation of one of the stories which comprise the collection -- "Mars is Heaven". It's the gentle but yet brutal story of how the Martians use powers of illusion to protect themselves from what they understand to be invaders from Earth. I could find very little about how Wildey came to be on this project, but the results are still quite impressive. 

Here's the three-page story in its original artwork form. 




To read this story in its full-color form with the blessing of a cover to boot check out this link. Later this week, there will be more on The Martian Chronicles. 

Rip Off

 

4 comments:

  1. My memory is a bit hazy, but I believe the Wildey pages were produced in the 60's with some help from John Cassone, as part of a newspaper strip proposal. They appeared later in that issue of LA Times West. I read about it in a late 70's issue of Mediascene, which had an article about the Martian Chronicles TV series. I think Wildey also worked on the Chronicles storyboards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info Russ and thanks for pointing me in the direction of this work. I had not heard of it. I did run across info about Wildey working on the tv show storyboards and that is likely where the painting at the top originated.

      Delete
  2. I have a copy of the LA Times West magazine.I don't recall where I got it as I live in Chicago. It may have simply been used as packing material I found at one of my jobs. It is in excellent condition.

    ReplyDelete