Saturday, September 12, 2020

The Saturday Serials - A New Hope!


There's little chance of overstating the impact of Star Wars on films, science fiction, and the popular culture in general. We were all living our lives quite quietly, discontented with a decade which was not delivering on the promises of the previous two. America was, if not crumbling, then at the very least showing its age with its big cities becoming wildly dangerous places (at least in the imagination) and the world increasingly not listening to our demands, especially in the Middle East where it turned out "our oil" was not actually ours.

1977 Star Wars soundtrack poster I found. Enjoy! : StarWars

In the wake of America's two hundredth birthday it seemed that life was turning a bit gloomy all around. Then Star Wars hit. It saved Hollywood from itself , rescuing an industry which had gotten old but not mature, and it saved comic books when the license bailed out the company which would become the behemoth Marvel. For a fantasy and sci-fi fan it was manna from heaven giving us all something new and shiny to discuss and obsess over. It was indeed as it would come to called, a new hope.

Pic of the Day: Star Wars (1977) | deep fried movies

For me personally it was eye-opening to the extreme. I grew up a comics fan, a science fiction fan, and was just coming away from several years entranced by the works of J.R.R. Tolkien and his imitators. I'd read lots of Asimov, some Ellison, but not enough Heinlein. Dune was perhaps my favorite sci-fi novel, maybe still is. I went to see most all the fantasy and science fiction movie releases that hit my area including the Harryhausen and Heston epics.

Star Wars 1977 Japanese B2 Poster | Posteritati Movie Poster Gallery | New  York

But when I went to see Star Wars, already having read a somewhat lackluster comic appearance, I came out changed for all time. While it seems a bit old and worn these days, back then those spaceships were visions of an imagination larger than mine and the characters were at once stunningly weird and comfortably familiar. Movies like Logan's Run suddenly seemed like out-sized episodes of Lost in Space and a new game was afoot.

1977 Posters - Star Wars Archives

Like most folks I saw it multiple times, four I think. In those days when video was just blooming there was no such thing as waiting at home for it to drop in a few months. These will-of-the-wisps had to be chased and wrestled to the ground. My tired bones like the new age of countless films at my fingertips, but I confess the old days were fun for muscles eager to run about.

Star Wars Poster//Star Wars Movie Poster//Spanish New Hope Poster//Mov –  The Vintage Printing Co

I'm not going to spend any time reviewing the plot of Star Wars because if you don't know it, you ain't reading this blog. But here are few things that have stuck me in recent viewings. Luke is set up elegantly as our hero from the magical repetition of his name when we first meet him to the twin moons of Tatooine, one shining and one dusky, which symbolize the twin natures of his heritage and his soul. We know who is father is, who is sister is, but he doesn't and he's a young man set adrift when his Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru are murdered. They seem too quickly forgotten it now seems as I watch the movie, but I didn't think that then as he clings to a new mentor named Kenobi, who opens a box and draws forth a magic sword that will lead the youngster toward his destiny.

Star Wars Poster by Michelangelo Papuzza, 1977 for sale at Pamono

I prefer to watch the original version of the movie as opposed to the refined and retooled one that Lucas dropped on us to make them more compatible to his prequels. Seeing some unidentifiable beast lumber across Mos Eisley doesn't really add value to my experience though I confess the sweetened explosions don't hurt.

Amazon.com: Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) Movie Poster 24"x36":  Posters & Prints

When Lucas made Star Wars that was it, the only one for all the chatter about chapters and such. Because it was an enormous success he could make the sequels (neither of which surpasses the original --spoiler alert) and years later when cash-strapped he'd finally launch his own personal "Silmarillion" on the world. (I confess I like them fine, but you're only a virgin once.) Of the new movies only Rogue One has captured the exciting essence of this very first New Hope and that's because like its predecessor it was only supposed to ever stand alone really. One shiny object from a time and a galaxy far away to behold and enjoy forever and ever.

More next week when...you guessed it...the empire will strike back.

Rip Off

7 comments:

  1. Here in the UK Star Wars didn't arrive until late December 1977 and that was only in London - it took several more months for the film to open in cinemas across the entire nation - I finally saw Star Wars on May 30th 1978, more than a year after its' original US release! But it's still a great film and it would be so much better as a stand-alone film without the inferior sequels and prequels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sure built to stand alone and I think that gets lost with all the follow ups that have been done.

      Delete
    2. If you read the novelization, there are numerous details (such as the Emperor being weak and controlled by his subordinates) that were discarded as of the second film.

      Delete
    3. I just happened to see Alan Dean Foster interviewed for another adaptation, but he mentioned the Star Wars one and talked about how adding such things was sometimes necessary. Lucas must've felt it easier to collect most of the evil into a few men so as to make it simpler to apprehend for the viewer. But as we know there's no way a man like the Emperor or like Ming the Merciless or like Donald Trump can accrue power save through the diligent work of others and it's those others who are the more vital threats sometimes.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. Star Wars was a life changer for me. And I, too, would much rather watch the original version than the new Lucas-tampered versions. However, while I do still have the originals on VHS, I usually wind up watching the Blu-Ray version. Also, for me, it's a tossup between Star Wars and The Empire Strikes back as to which is the best.

    As far as the prequels, I didn't like Episodes I and II at first (though I did lie Revenge of the Sith right off the bat) but they have grown on me.

    Regarding the newer, Disney era movies, I don't much care for the sequels, and tend to try to ignore them. I thought Rogue One was pretty good, though honestly not too memorable, and I thought Solo was pretty good. In fairness to all of the Disney era movies, I've only seen them once and should probably watch them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to disagree on Solo, it bored me I'm sad to say. I loved most of Episode I, though the race is a bit too long. The villains were divine in that one. I liked II just because I'm a Boba Fett fan and always have been, but that's not hard to be. III was fine, did what it had to do, but felt a little bit by the numbers. It was so much darker than any of them had been, appropriately so that I think it feels misplaced at times.

      The Disney ones aside from Rogue One, have been lackluster despite some stunning visuals. I'm not loving the new trio all that much sad to say and Carrie Fisher's sad and untimely demise sort of screws up the rhythm a bit.

      But give the first one all day long. I'm about to give Empire a good look starting tomorrow. I'll report this weekend.

      Delete
    2. Yes, the pod race was way too long, but Lucas loves that stuff. Self indulgent. My biggest problem was Episode I was Anakin destroying the droid control ship by accident. That's a bit much to swallow, even in a space fantasy. And yes, Darth Maul is awesome, and that light sabre duel at the end is the best light sabre duel in all of the Star Wars movies.

      As far as Boba Fett, I like him too, but like Wolverine and Puck (from Alpha Flight) I think it's best to not know too much about him, and leave an air of mystery.

      I agree with you that the Disney sequels have been lackluster, especially in the plot department, and Carrie Fisher's death did indeed hurt things.

      Delete