Monday, August 31, 2020

Fantastic Fashions Of Mongo!


It's a cliche that to overcome nervousness in an interview or public speaking or some such situation, it is suggested that the audience should be imagined to be without clothes. This is supposed to make them more humble looking and take off the tension. Don't know if it works, but I do know that seeing the mighty Ming the Merciless bereft of his typical robes and overpowering collars I do feel less threatened. (By the way, did Doctor Strange's cloak come from Ming? It's all I could think of recently when I watched the original serial again.)


Apparently one of the gimmicks used by King Features to maximize the allure of the Flash Gordon strip is to have Alex Raymond make paper dolls out of all of the characters. It certainly was a nifty means of extending the adventures into the imaginations of the kids who read it week in and week out, but did boys play with these? I would have, but I was the product of a more modern attitude.



Getting a fashion  paper doll for Dale Arden makes all sorts of sexist sense,but seeing Flash and Zarkov in their skivvies (or near it) is a big odd.



And really, just how many outfits is a Lion Man going wear anyway.



I certainly would've played with a Princess Aura paper doll, as taking off her clothes might be fun indeed. It still might be.



Don't judge me please.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment