Wednesday, November 13, 2019

There Be Swamp Monsters!


Not having ever been in or really near a swamp in my life I am somewhat bemused by the way in which these rich vital factories teeming with life have such low regard in the minds of civilized men. I guess the fecundity of the swamp is the essence of uncivilized, an often dark place where life brews up all sorts of things. But of course as dangerous as the real things in a swamp might be, it's those supernatural things which are the focus of the stories in this collection from Yoe Books.


Not all of the Yoe Book sets speak to me, though I find all of them of passing interest. But this one I knew I had to get and check out. Sadly it's a bit of a disappointment as the denizens of the swamps are less of the creature variety than I'd have preferred. That doesn't mean there are not lots of swampy things to consider. As usual these stories are from the vast landscape of the public domain and from publishers who  have themselves receded into the swamps of history. But the talent is still there in many instances.


Swamp Monsters begins with a exceedingly nifty essay by Stephen Bissette, a man and artist well versed in swamps and monsters and matters between. Then we lead off with a story by comics delight Basil Wolverton called simply "Swamp Monster". Sadly after that great start the book is filled with art which looks a lot the same, credible but not compelling. Ken Landau's turn on a story called "Bride of the Swamp" lifts above the average here. There is a gallery of covers which is pretty interesting, several you can see below.  If you're a fan of such yarns, this one is of interest, but otherwise, I'd not bother.




Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment