Friday, November 15, 2019

Orgy Of The Bored!


I finally at long last raked up a copy of the notorious Ed Wood scripted movie Orgy of the Dead, a 60's color sexploitation flick that is stunningly unsexy. I'd read this movie was bad, but that's standard for a movie with Wood's name attached. This one wasn't actually directed by Wood, but he did write it and apparently was on set during the filming according to the guy who did direct it (as much as a movie like this can be directed).


The plot is pretty much pointless -- a writer and his girl drive around graveyards looking for inspiration and get caught up literally in a midnight burlesque show judged by the "Emperor" played by the turgid Criswell and some buxom babe doing a Vampira shtick dubbed the "Black Ghoul". (Apparently Vampira wouldn't do this one). The couple are forced to watch a seemingly endless parade of exotic dancers, each supposedly some lost soul. And that's it. The movie just dawdles along with one mostly-naked chick after another "dancing" before the cameras.


Oh and I almost forgot the werewolf and the mummy who watch on with an unsettling eagerness. This was never supposed to be a good movie, that's clear. It was an excuse to showcase as many tits as possible on screen for as much time as possible. But while the tits are in abundance, the titillation is all but lacking, and for a movie which has only sex to sell that's not good. I cannot say that I'm glad that I saw Orgy of the Dead, but I am glad I don't have an eagerness to watch it again.


But sadly I have to admit I'd love to see a sampling of the novelized version. It must be the pure Wood, though the cover is not terrible.  I just noticed Forry Ackerman's name too -- Holy Moly!

Rip Off

1 comment:

  1. Years ago, in the age of mom and pop video stores, we came across this one Halloween. The VHS cover made it seem like your standard cheesy horror. It turned out to be a "what the...??" moment.

    ReplyDelete