Sunday, November 10, 2019

Creepshows!


That I have never seen the movie Creepshow is amazing to me. Part of it might be that I'm not particularly a Stephen King fan, apart from his excellent Salem's Lot. But I am a fan of Berni Wrightson, so it's good that I have at long last added his adaptation of the yarns spun in the movie to the overflowing heap I dub a collection. (Even if Berni's work is hidden beneath a worthy Jack Kamen cover.) There are five stories in the movie and in the comic, each attempting to evoke the classic EC style of storytelling with equal parts grotesque cosmic justice and just plain grotesque.


To be frank really, the stories work better in comic book form than in film. George Romero is a celebrated name, but I find his movies sometimes remote and this one seems to be style over substance. (I might rate Martin as his creepiest movie.) The characterizations are very broad and in a movie come across as unreal, which undermines any tension. The one exception is "The Crate", a yarn starring some outstanding pros such as Hal Holbrook and Fritz Weaver and this story has with actual suspense, even if it does lack depth. (I wasn't looking for depth really.)  Both Creepshow the movie and the comic are worth the trouble to visit and glad I did after all these years.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment