Saturday, November 9, 2019

Frankenstein Alive, Alive, At Last!


It's very possible no one loved Frankenstein more than Berni Wrightson. He made illustrating the "Modern Prometheus" his life's work. First he gave us definitive images to illustrate the original tale and towards the end of his career he revisited the character in Frankenstein Alive, Alive!, a sequel to the classic Shelley tale.


Sadly he was unable to complete the project before his demise, but was able to oversee that completion by selecting his replacement Kelley Jones to do the fourth and final chapter. I've been gathering up these since they first hit the stands way back in 2012 and have longed to see the end. At long last I have with the publication of a collected edition. I'll be honest, as much as I admire Wrighton's artwork, the story of Frankenstein after the novel doesn't leap from the pages but rather seems a bit too grounded and a mite humdrum. I wish it weren't so, but I do know that while many have speculated on the existence of the Creature after Frankenstein's death, no one did it with more care than Berni Wrightson.





Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment