Thursday, November 21, 2019

CARToons Up And Running!


Gathered this little revival off the newsstand a few weeks ago. CARToons wasn't a regular on my buy list back in the day, I'm not really a car guy but this wacky chaotic cover by veteran artist Steve Austin made me give the issue a closer look. The original from Peterson Publications has been gone for several decades now (along with its mates CYCLEToons, SURFToons, SKIToons, HOT ROT Toons, etc.) but this revival has a nifty spirit. This magazine is not going to be a regular on my buy list now, but it was a long of fun tumbling through the pages and remembering how magazines like this one were once upon a time generations ago a mainstream part of car culture, and beyond. Here's a link to their website if you'd like to know more.


And here is a rather cool cameo by the one and only Mister Magoo in HOT ROD Cartoons which I stumbled across while looking things up.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. I discovered the reboot of this cartoon 'zine a year or so ago on the B&N magazine rack. Was a regular reader of the titles during the original run. This new series isn't quite up to that, but still good for some zany fun. Ed "Big Daddy" Roth rules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up issues now and again back in those bygone days, mostly hungry for some good comic art and often finding it.

      Rip Off

      Delete