Wednesday, April 17, 2019

The Flames Of Notre Dame!


This was somewhat crummy news and watching the spire crash in was a little unsettling. I was alas, reminded of the twin towers in NYC. Of course the comparison is a weak one, but seeing an iconic structure fall down shakes the timbers of my faith in society a wee bit. We are toying everyday it seems with the moral and ethical pillars which have for the most part maintained us, and to see actual pillars in jeopardy reminds me of that. 


I only a few months ago actually got hold of and watched Charles Laughton's magnificent performance as Victor Hugo's tragic hero, The Hunchback of Notre Dame. He was quite magnificent and all the folks in Paris need to do is tap that Hollywood magic and the old look will rise again and possibly on a crackerjack budget.


And I took the opportunity to watch again the master Lon Chaney in one of his most famous roles. I find I prefer Laughton's more sympathetic presentation, though the spectacle of the Chaney version is eye-popping still. And that concludes my thoughts on Notre Dame for the nonce -- be safe.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment