Saturday, April 27, 2019

Aquaman - Desperately Seeking A Sea King!


I missed out on this installment in the ever-expanding DC movie universe when it hit theaters. I was going with a friend to see it and it was sold out save for seats right at the screen. I like those, but she opted out and decided to delay -- we never went back. So I was eager to get hold of the dvd to see what this was all about. I wasn't disappointed, but I can see issues with the movie. Spoilers be below me hearties!


First off let me express my gobsmackiness that such a movie even exists. As the 21st century has tumbled along, the superhero movie only continues to pick up steam and projects which as  longtime comics fanboy I'd like to see have actually shown up much to my amazement. Aquaman was absolutely of the kind of the league of leftover heroes when I stumbled across the DCU. But he never stopped trying and creators kept at it until they stumbled onto ways to express the character.


Jason Mamoa is an exceedingly charming actor and does a spitfire job here as the lead, but he's surrounded by lots of characters doing lots of things and believe it or not I think Aquaman gets lost a little bit in the debut movie bearing his name. (But I do love that he wears the gold shirt.) Making of with some of his time is Mera who is another kickass woman hero to inspire the girls out there. But perhaps stealing the show with relatively little screen time are the romance of Arthur Curry and Atlanna, the parents of our hero. Played by Temura Morrison and Nicole Kidman, the heart of the movie is with them and their indestructible romance. Also the origin of Black Manta was a sight to see and I am hungry for more from this take-no-prisoners villain. Ocean Master was great too, but as you can see the list grows long and there are even more characters to contend with. It's a crowded movie, with lots going on under the sea.


And that's the real star of this show, the ocean itself which thanks to the magic of CG is as real as anything else I've ever encountered on cinema. The creators here do a crackerjack job of keeping us mindful of the alien nature of the environment Aquaman lives and works in and his powers are on display plenty. In fact if anything there almost too many environments explored, getting a tiny bit confusing toward the end with some not getting a proper showcase. But that said and done, this movie not disappoint, but elevated the character, no mean feat in a universe brimming with heroes.

Image result for sub-mariner the quest

An afterthought is that the movie reminds me more than bit of one of Namor the Sub-Mariner's famous quests across the seas to find a trident. I've not read any recent Aquaman and assumed the plot was from relatively recent issues.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. I just didnt think it was very good. My favorite scene in the whole movie was at the beginning when Aquaman came on the sub and kicked everyone's butt. Aquaman was really COOL in that scene and it didnt rely on CGI.

    I felt that as the movie went on it relied more and more on CGI and I cared about Aquaman less and less.

    It also didnt help that the whole battle with his half brother reminded me a LOT of Black Panther.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have to agree, the fight at the beginning has more zing than later ones which are heavily dependent on CG and consequently have that video game feel which depletes the emotional connection. As for the half-brother thing, Aquaman got there first. My very first Aquaman comic featured Ocean Master and his revealed connection to Aquaman, so I have a nostalgic affection for the character.

      Rip Off

      Delete