Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Bakshi's Wizards!


Here's what I said about this  entertaining Ralph Bakshi movie a decade ago.

"I recently picked up a DVD version of Ralph Bakshi's Wizards. After watching it twice (once with Bakshi's very informative commentary and once without) and I have to say I've never enjoyed this film more. It looks outstanding on this DVD. I saw it in the theaters, I have it on VHS, but I've never seen the material as vivid or compelling as on this DVD. The Mike Ploog artwork which is used as sepia-toned stills to supply the history of the Wizard's world and some in-between material looks lush and beautiful. The backgrounds are bright and even florescent at times.


Maybe I'm in the right place for the satire right now, but I found the story really engaging for the first time ever. Usually I just drink in the images, but here I found the themes themselves more compelling. Bakshi is a frank and entertaining commentator on his own work and gives praise to those involved (including himself) and you can really tell he dislikes Walt Disney. There's also some added features on this DVD, a half-hour (or so) interview with Bakshi that is really enjoyable. There are the usual trailers and some production stills. All in all a good solid DVD package, with some really great comic book connections.My favorite insider detail is that at one point the "hero" Avatar pronounces a spell invoking the names of "Krenkel, Morrow, and Frazetta" (spelled "krinkle, morrow, and frizeta" in the subtitles). Bakshi reveals this was an intentional homage to three of his fave comics artists. He gushes about comics and mentions most of the classic names we love here, especially Eisner."


And that's what I thought then, and after watching the movie again just a few days ago, I have to say I agree with myself. This is a solid entertainment, a movie which landed in the theaters mere weeks ahead of the juggernaut which was Star Wars. Good stuff and highly recommended.

Rip Off

5 comments:

  1. Wizards was one of the first videos I rented in 1981ish, picking it up just out of interest and the cool cover, renting it several times afterwards. I loved it then but forgot about it soon after my last viewing and purchased the DVD version about 6 years ago in a sale. For me it still stood up and was great fun but I wasn't as impressed with the animation in places as I was on my first viewing but i had forgotten all about the Ploog stills that certainly stood the test of time. It's still one of my favourite animations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Wizards in the theater, the same season which saw Star Wars. I lived right next to a small local theater and went there every week if not more often -- I saw Star Wars four times as I recollect. I delighted to get Wizards and VHS some time later and DVD after that. It's a story which works for me more and more as I grow older and more forgiving of stylistic variations.

      Noticed some cels for sell at my local comic shop just the other day. Don't know how long they've been on the wall but I've never noticed them before. Might have to check it out.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. Loved Wizards at the time and still do. Worth remembering that it was Bakshi's avowed aim to make a kid's movie, Nazi's and all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on that. This movie is a lot of things, but a kid's movie it ain't. The fact that the old man Avatar wants to bang the seemingly much younger Ellinore gives the whole thing a gloss I don't associate with kid flicks for sure. By Bakshi standards it's restrained, but it's still fully adult.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  3. A good review, thank you! I've included a link to your work in our article about the film: Wizards, movie (1977)

    ReplyDelete