Monday, February 4, 2019

Favorite Comic Artist Countdown #58 - Bob Oksner!


I have less Bob Oksner art than I'd like. His delightful and often funny material appeared in DC Comics. Oksner won me over with the way he portrayed women, which at once idealized them and made them feel  real. They were gorgeous and yet had that girl next door vibe making them appear accessible to even a comic book nebbish like myself. Oksner work on Shazam, Supergirl, and especially Lois Lane stands out for me. Alas I was not savvy enough to scarf up his work on stuff like Angel and the Ape His Lois Lane covers in particular were clever and sexy and one wondered how they ever got by the Comics Code. It took a blend of skill and wit indeed.




Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Love Oksner's work. That "Girl's Love" cover is wonderful. As is that "Angel and the Ape". Oksner drew fine simians, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oksner's work has a sense of ease to it, as if it just fell out of his mind somehow. We know it was careful craft, but that's the magic.

      Rip Off

      Delete