Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Favorite Comic Artist Countdown #49 - Reed Crandall!


Reed Crandall was the master of detail. That's how I remember this outstanding artist, one who had a career extending back to the earliest days working diligently for Quality Comics and later at the infamous EC Comics among others. I came across Crandall's art in the pages of Warren magazines where his lush fine lines found a perfect footing. A Crandall page seems almost to shimmer at times. He drew a fondly remembered werewolf yarn for Marvel which was also one of those pieces that I came across when I building my sense of what a good comic was. His art on Flash Gordon for King Comics had a gentleness to it which made you take note.




Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. The cask of Amontillado one of my favourites from Creepy the pages seemed to come alive when the crypt waes flooded

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's at Warren that I first encountered the detailed craftsmanship of Crandall and only later learned of his long years in the Golden Age and beyond. I was lucky to see him first in his mature artistic state.

      Rip Off

      Delete