Saturday, February 16, 2019

Favorite Comic Artist Countdown #46 - Alex Nino!


Alex Nino opened my eyes -- almost literally. Comics looked a certain way and I was perfectly happy with that certain way and to a great degree still am. But Alex Nino with his blisteringly different detailed approach to the comics page makes you look at it differently, read it differently, think about it differently. I will confess that not all Nino pages make sense to me, but all of them are compelling to look at, not unlike Escher prints. The images pull you in and demand attention. Nino is somehow more effective in black and white, it showcases the shapes and draws emphasis to the blacks. Nino's work almost feels like it was etched out of the page and not drawn upon it. Nino was just one of the many fantastic artists who suddenly appeared from the Philippines, showing up already accomplished. I love looking at Nino stories, reading them is not always an operative term.




Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. He's in my top ten. I HAVE to buy his stuff whenever I see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nino is hard to find, because he's always in an anthology or hidden under someone's else's cover art. When I went looking for covers to feature there were few to choose among.

      Rip Off

      Delete
    2. Yeah i have to look it up online to find out if he is in there

      Delete