Friday, February 1, 2019

The Favorite Comic Book Artist Countdown!


This month begins the largest project at the Dojo since the one hundred day countdown to Jack Kirby's centennial, and not surprisingly, Kirby will be part of it. Back in the fall of last year I did a countdown of my favorite superheroes and this month-long project generated more than the usual amount of comment. It was recommended by someone along the way that I might try the same thing with my favorite artists and I thought that was a dandy idea. But when I sat down to actually try to come up with a list of my "favorite" comic book artists. 

I couldn't limit it to a single month. I first started with a top fifteen, then a top twenty-five, then I upped it to fifty and finally it became sixty when I kept thinking of names I just could not leave off. So I'm going with sixty as the magic number (one for each year of my life) and the countdown will begin tomorrow and stretch through the ides of March and beyond. There likely will be other matters discussed and presented here during the countdown, but that will be job one for sure. I'm eager to see what kind of response I get to some of my choices, because the list did not end up like I expected it to. 

Remember that this is a list of my "favorite" artists and so will not necessarily reflect on the particular artist's significance. You likely already know all the names, or maybe not. For the record, I'm not including talent primarily known for comic strips (Hal Foster, Alex Raymond, etc.), only comic books, so maybe some day that's another countdown. This should be fun, or at least I hope so. 

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment