Sunday, February 17, 2019

Favorite Comic Artist Countdown #45 - Jerry Grandenetti!


I don't remember when I fell for the intoxicating pages of Jerry Gandenetti, but it was early on in my comic book reading. He was not a talent who ever worked for Marvel (to my knowledge), though he did put in his hand at Atlas-Seaboard, the Bronze Age Marvel wannabe company which flamed out as quickly as it appeared. I did find his stuff on horror stories mostly, though later I learned he was a stalwart artists on DC's war books. When Joe Simon made a bid to return to comics, he found in Grandenetti a steady and ready partner and the pair turned out some really intriguing and offbeat books for a DC looking to find a way back to the top of the heap. Prez is the best remembered, but there was also The Green Team which was showcased in a singular issue of First Issue Special. Later in that same series they present The Outsiders (not the Batman team of a few years later). Grandenetti saw a different world than the rest of us and did his best to bring out the dark spinning details which were the definition of grotesque.




Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Grandenetti wasn't a favorite of mine back in the day. Since then, I have come to appreciate his imaginative and unique work. I especially like his horror work. Great post series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Grandenetti is one of those artists who grows on you the more you read comics and dive beneath the surface features.

      Rip Off

      Delete