Sunday, February 10, 2019

Favorite Comic Artist Countdown #52 - Irv Novick!


I could make a case that Irv Novick is the most underrated artist in comic book history. He was there from the very beginning, drawing the adventures of the Shield for the MLJ's Pep Comics, a character he co-created. He is best remembered by me as the DC artist who was incredibly dynamic and amazingly clear in his storytelling on many a war comic and many a Batman story. While Neal Adams was dragging down kudos for changing the ways of the Bat, it was Irv Novick right in there alongside him delivering stories with the proper new atmosphere of drama and danger. I cannot put my finger on just what it is, but something about the drawing of Novick just pops off the page with an energy which is rarely matched.




Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. To me he is the Joker artist. He gave the clown prince of crime a distinctive look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I concur. The Joker hovered on the slimmest edge of too broad when Novick drew him, but not too much by a whisker.

      Rip Off

      Delete