Thursday, January 10, 2019

That Memphis Group!


I recently picked up a collection of music from Booker T and M.G.s  I've long admired the song "Green Onions" which shows up in many a collection, but frankly I had not heard much of their other music and always intended to but never did. Now I have and it's great stuff, just the perfect kind of music to listen to on the way to and from work, it wakes the mind and soothes the soul. My commute just got easier.


It's going to be great exploring the music of this utterly outstanding band of musicians. Just what is needed in these turbulent times. 

Rip Off

4 comments:

  1. I first heard them on the American Graffiti soundtrack when I was in high school. Then I found a cassette of theirs in a cut-out bin in a record store. I’ve enjoyed their music for a long time and it led me to check out more of their labelmates at Stax Records.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many artists like this that I've been meaning to get around to for a long time. The time has come if I'm ever gonna' do it and it's lovely! It's a bit lower key than I expected, but still quite involving.

      Rip Off

      Delete
    2. I saw Booker T & the MGs backing up Neil Young in '96, and if that sounds like an odd combination, it actually sounded great. Neil even covered Dock of the Bay which MG guitarist Steve Cropper co-wrote with Otis Redding.

      Delete
    3. You’re right. It’s great driving music. Several years ago, I put together a mix CD of several of those Stax instrumental bands.....the MG’s, the Mar-Keys, the Bar-Kay’s, etc... I might have to find that one and plug it in again.

      Delete