Friday, January 18, 2019

Conan The Believer!


I've waxed on before about how Conan the Barbarian #1 was a revelation for yours truly. I'd already drunk the Marvel kool-aid and was a "True Believer" and it's only right that now, several decades later I pick up yet another reprint of that significant book, this emblazoned with the "True Believers" brand.


Also on hand is the great story from Howard -- "The Tower of the Elephant", perhaps the single most elegant of the first Windsor-Smith era.


There's a hearty taste of Gil Kane who was set to take on the Cimmerian when Windsor-Smith left for a time.

But he returned to finish one more epic tale, though it's a bit ragged in places, and I wish they'd used the artwork originally intended for this particular comic -- a great way to correct a blunder from days gone by.


We get some dandy Neal Adams artwork, an artist whose ability to capture the real worked especially well in presenting a vivid landscape for the Cimmerian's adventures.


And so far it wraps up with some art from Conan's most important artist the late great John Buscema and the story with began a saga and introduced Belit. There are some more of these due next week, taking stories from the pages of Savage Tales and King Conan. 



It's a fine way for Marvel to get their most successful licensed character back onto the stands. Of course all of these were written by the Rascally One himself, Roy "The Boy" Thomas.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. I bought the original Conan The Barbarian #1 a year or two back, and now I've ordered several copies of the True Believers reprint of it - as well as some of the others. I'll probably get them all, and the softcover collected edition as well. If only they'd print the interiors on matt paper though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I concur about the paper sir, it always makes things better. I've bought more versions of Conan #1 than I can remember really, it was a big moment for me.

      Rip Off

      Delete