Sunday, January 13, 2019

Look What Plopped Up!


Just ran across the ad below for an upcoming issue of MAD Magazine. I've been enjoying the rebooted MAD and I thrilled to get a little bonus when an issue will feature the complete debut issue of DC's infamous PLOP comic book.


I was lucky to get hold of PLOP #1 when it dropped all those decades ago and I picked up an issue here and there before it closed up shop with its twenty-fourth issue. The series was famously inspired by a story entitled "The Poster Plague" which Steve Skeates and Sergio Aragones were finally able get into an issue of  House of Mystery.  A story dubbed "The Gourmet" by Berni Wrightson from the debut issue even won an award. This is a series screaming out to be collected in proper fashion for a new generation of fans. I think much of the humor is timeless.


Here are the covers for the entire run, most by the deliriously entertaining Basil Wolverton, assisted a few times by Wally Wood. Later the comic adopted a more traditional cover scheme with artwork by Joe Orlando, Dave Manak and others. The comics themselves are filled up with great Sergio Aragones artwork as well stories by the likes of Bill Draut, Alfredo Alacala, and Berni Wrightson.



















Tbe PLOP covers changed consideradly with the twentieth issue when the bizarre characters were replaced by panel gags. After one cover by a classic cartoonist the balance of the run were produced by Joe Orlando or Dave Manak or so combination. Doubtless this was done to help sales but it was sad to see the menagerie of oddballs stop.






Below is one unplublished cover by Basil Wolverton -- I assume for issue twenty.

Rip Off

8 comments:

  1. Well, the title at least was inspired by "the Poster Plague" where the enigmatic message of the posters, "Klop is Coming" was paid off by a version of the ending of "Bambi Meets Godzilla". Its original working title was "Weird Humor", back when most of Joe Orlando's books had weird in the title.

    I also really liked Marvel's parallel humor/horror book Arrgh! which had some of my favorite Tom Sutton work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Weird Humor" is a good title and I liked the symmetry, but the utterly inscrutable "Plop" is a title for the ages. Arrgh! was fun and I gathered it up many years ago when I was in my Marvel completism phase.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. DC testing the waters for a PLOP! collection? Please, oh, PLEASE, DC do something right and give us a PLOP! tpb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked up the first seven issues off the rack, but for some reason they were around for awhile. I ended up finding the last two issues when they were released. DC also had a special Sergio Aragones issue in their DC Super Stars series that I assumed was supposed to be the 25th issue of Plop! Cain, Abel, and Eve toured the DC offices, from what I remember. I always enjoyed it and would probably grab a TPB collection if I saw it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of that Aragones special and almost included it, but I was certain it was intended for that spot.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  4. I was a big fan of this series back when it came out - but especially liked the ad campaign leading up to it.

    You say you know Plop! is coming, but you don't know what it is?
    Is That What's Bothering You, Boy?!

    Providing no real clue to the nature of Plop!, the ads were odd in both content and feel. And quite well suited to the book.

    Russ - thanks for sending me off to read about the Poster Plague. Much as i was a fan of Skeates, all reference had been swallowed by one of the black pits in my memory. Appreciate the jolt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anticipation is central to joy as all fourteen year boys across the planet well know. PLOP is such a evocative word, it lingers in the mind.

      Rip Off

      Delete