Sunday, December 1, 2019

Meet My Super Friends!


December will hopefully prove to be a month of good will as the Super Friends will dominate the proceedings. I've gathered up the many diverse seasons of the Hanna-Barbara / DC classic cartoon and have been for the very first time in my life watching the shows through in proper order. Expect a glimpse at least of each of the nine seasons of the show as we explore just what made this particular variation of my beloved Justice League so successful.  They made a charming comic book version (finally ) of the series and that might get a little loving scrutiny as well. So hold onto your wonder dog as we hearken back to those halcyon days when a kid named Marvin made even Robin look cool.


And George Pal, arguably the sweetest man in the history of Hollywood (if stories are to be believed) will get some attention. His "Madcap Models" as Paramount wanted to call them or "Puppetoons" as we know them today were precursors to some of the greatest science fiction classics such as War of the Worlds, When Worlds Collide, and Destination Moon. He also gave us that Doc Savage movie in the 70's but I won't hold that against him...too much.


And probably there will be some movie reviews, of flicks both old and new. I've been enjoying some real classics lately as well as some movies that I was surprised I liked as well as I did.


All this and maybe some time reflecting on other works of wonder from across the spectrum of comics and television. I cannot say, because I do not know in this most cheer-besotted month what might catch my fancy or fury.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rip! I look forward to your comments on the Super Friends. I always wanted to get a copy of Hoyt Curtain’s wonderful incidental music from the first season. Ever seen it on a physical CD or on the web? Best Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! Can't wait! Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete