Wednesday, December 11, 2019

The Worm Returns!



"The Valley of the Worm" is one of my favorite comic books. This 1973 all-in-one Robert E. Howard classic showed up in the third issue of Supernatural Thrillers, Marvels somewhat underrated attempt to bring some classic monster and horror tales to the four-color market. Here is a review of the original comic which says almost everything I could say, so why repeat it.   What prompts all my renewed interest is that Marvel has seen fit to reprint this vintage classic in their "True Believers" link, meaning you can have it for very cheap. Roy Thomas and Gil Kane are at the tops of their games in this one with Ernie Chan around to cement it into the larger Marvel REH universe. I can't say I'm thrilled by what Marvel is doing with Conan these days since they've gotten back the dour Cimmerian, but once upon a time they did it better than anyone.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment