Friday, August 2, 2019

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood!


Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a completely absorbing movie event. I have long faulted Quentin Tarrantino for not being a bit more concise in his storytelling, allowing excellent stories to become muddles, but that doesn't happen here. This is one of those movies about which discussing the plot is problematic, so I won't do that. This is a completely spoiler-free overlook and I implore you to not allow yourself to get spoiled on this film.


We are presented with some of the coolest scenes I've ever enjoyed on film. Watching Margot Robie as the supremely happy Sharon Tate walk the streets of a bygone Hollywood in an outstanding white mini-skirt is worth the price of admission all on its own. (I was reminded of the fantastic line from Citizen Kane when Kane's loyal aide Bernstein says "A fellow will remember a lot of thing you wouldn't think he'd remember. You take me. One day, back in 1896 I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month has't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl." )


Image result for Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

Leonardo DeCaprio is compelling and even sympathetic as a has-been actor trying to stay relevant keep his career moving forward and coming to terms with what happens to all men in the rigors of time. And finally Brad Pitt portrays possibly the coolest character to ever casually walk across the movie screen -- ruggedly handsome, assured and composed, brave, compassionate, possibly dangerous and willing to do what needs doing. All fans of the Green Hornet must see this movie -- I'll say no more.

Rip Off

4 comments:

  1. Was [redacted] a jerk as he was portrayed in the film? His daughter is upset about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee died before I ever got the chance to see him on film, only as Kato. His legend has grown for nearly fifty years now, longer by far than he was actually alive. He's there with Elvis and JFK, a modern American myth. No man is the myth.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. I first heard of this film a few days ago because Bruce Lee's daughter was complaining about the way he's portrayed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised. This movie does attempt to put a dent in the Lee legend.

      Rip Off

      Delete