Thursday, August 22, 2019

Girls On Film - Yvette!


Yvette Vickers is one of the most vivacious women ever to grace the big screen and alas also one of the most tragic. Whenever Yvette is in a movie she steals all the attention. It's really not fair to other actors to have to hang around in a scene while the tempting Vickers slithers across the screen, alluring and radiating danger. You know she's trouble and you don't care.


Sadly the end was tragic. Yvette Vickers was a woman who was isolated and alone in her final days, so much so that when she passed away in her home it was months before her body was discovered. This staggering to me that such a thing could happen, but then I think of folks I've lived next to who didn't have a network of people to care for them, or even expressed much interest. It's hard to believe that Yvette Vickers was one of those but evidence suggest it was so.


But I'll never forget her. I bet I'm not alone.

Rip Off


3 comments:

  1. Such a sad story but it seems to be a sad fact of modern life that loneliness is becoming a plague, the more we seem to be connected via technology the more we are distancing ourselves from people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm as guilty as anyone of ignoring my neighbors. My beloved wife was the social bee in our house and kept tabs on the outside world allowing me the luxury of living inside my house with my books and movies and such. Now that she's gone I have to man up and do a little socializing and be somewhat more responsible. I'd like to be smug and say that what happened to her would not happen in my community but that would not be true.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. I rather expect that's how it'll be with me. Weeks, at the least. Such is the nature of hermitage.

    But - I'm surprised you didn't mention any of her movies, perhaps most especially Attack Of The 50 Foot Woman, it being a genre classic, or maybe Roger Corman's I Mobster, which also featured an appearance from Lily St. Cir.

    ReplyDelete