Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Nose Of A Bat-Hound!


I don't buy every facsimile they cook up in those labs at DC and Marvel, but I do get some now and again. I popped for the facsimile of Marvel Feature #1 for instance because I could stare at that Neal Adams cover all day long.


And I found the recent Vampirella #1 from Dynamite facsimile equally iresistable.


 Over at DC though I found my sales resistance a bit stronger, that is until the facsimile of Batman #232 crossed my path. I picked up the comic to check out the vintage prime Neal Adams art and was once again blown away all over again. But still I didn't plan to buy it. Then I took a second or two to read a bit of the dialogue by Denny O'Neil written for the wonderful baddie Ra's Al Ghul. But still I didn't plan to buy it. I glommed onto the potent physical beauty Talia  in the waning the pages. But still I didn't plan to buy it.


Then I caught a whiff of the slow steady destruction of the pulp paper stock on which this facsimile was printed. It was a time machine, whisking me back to those halcyon days when comics burned in a slow fire which continues to this day, their eventual demise no less avoidable than my own. With modern comics on glossy paper which penetrates the eye with blinding colors and can nip the fingers with sharp edges I have grown weary. But hand me an old comic, ripe and dying in my hands and I'm all in. That's when I bought it. The look on my face was perhaps no more helpless than Batman's when Talia kisses him on the cheek. The aroma of mortality is to be savored.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment