Friday, January 29, 2010

Steve Ditko's Strange Suspense!


Wow! I read about this online but dismissed it since I have many of the stories in B&W from Greg Theakston's various efforts. But one glimpse of the actual book showed me I wanted this despite its nigh forty dollar price tag.

Well a few days ago I emptied my change can which yielded plenty of loose jack to bring this baby home. I collect change for just this sort of mad money experience. And so (with my beloved wife's permission) I went and gathered this gem up.

This is pretty much a pure Charlton reprint collection, though there are a few stories from other publishers. Since Charlton won't drag the fanboys in but Ditko will, I understand the packaging, but still and all it's interesting that this might just be the biggest Charlton reprint volume in my collection. The only others close would be the DC Archives with Ditko's Blue Beetle, Question and Captain Atom work.

The volume is pretty neatly done, with a beautiful cover and dandy binding. There are lots of covers and even a few stories not of the horror persuasion. I've read the non-Charlton stuff at this point and there's a romance and a western. The rest of the issue seems to be pure pre-Code horror with a humor piece at the end. Great great cover images. Some of the covers he did for The Thing are very disturbing and stick in the mind.

Highly recommended, so check out those change bowls right away.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment