Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Demon Is Born!





Ever since I've read about how Jack "King" Kirby was inspired by a story in Hal Foster's Prince Valiant to create the The Demon, I've wanted to read that tale. Well I finally got the chance a few weeks ago when I was reading the first volume of the first Fantagraphics Prince Valiant reprint volume. Essentially the story finds Val in a castle needing to defeat the more powerful enemy with guile rather than brawn. So he makes a disguise and gaslights dozens of Vikings into thinking they have a haunting on their hands. It's pretty fantastic stuff and pretty exciting to read. I can now understand why Kirby was so impressed. The "Demon" created by Foster is a face you won't soon forget. And thanks to Jack Kirby it wasn't.


Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment