Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Colossus The Forbin Project!


Let me tell you about an artificial intelligence which is developed at great cost by the United States and instead of making the country and the world safer turns on its creator and demands absolute obedience from the world's population. That movie is not Terminator, it's Colossus The Forbin Project. This film is a sleek somber telling of how our society efficiently and effectively dooms itself to slavery.


Eric Braedon is Forbin and he leads a team that builds Colossus and after its activation the world learns of another A.I. named Guardian which had been built by the Soviets. The two computers agree that  humanity is not up to the task of keeping themselves safe and unite to force the world to kowtow to their commands. To enforce that compliance they blithely launch a few nuclear missiles and destroy a few small cities here and there.


Forbin gets the bright idea to pretend a romance with Susan Clark's character so he can remain in contact with his team after the machines demand his isolation. It's a game of chess throughout the movie as the computers and the humans try to gain the advantage. I will not say how it all turns out, but I will say that I've always found the movie a compelling if not always exciting flick.

Rip Off

4 comments:

  1. Eric Braeden had just changed his name from Hans Gudegast, by which he was known when he was in "The Rat Patrol." Of course, nowadays he's best known for playing Victor Newman in "The Young and the Restless" for the last four decades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that I knew that. I haven't seen Rat Patrol in forever, and now I want to. Y&R was my wife's favorite soap before she gave them up entirely -- we've had many a discussion of the oddball personality of Victor Newman.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. Sorry to be "That Guy," Rip , but the Soviet supercomputer that Colossus links with was called Guardian.

    Also, late sixties Eric Braeden as Forbin (but with the in Victor Newman mustache) is my go-to image for a live-action Tony Stark if an Iron Man movie had been made during the Gene Colan era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't apologize. I tried to remember the name and was to lazy to double check so I'm glad to have it corrected. And he would've made a good Tony now that you mention it.

      Rip Off

      Delete