Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Favorite Heroes Countdown #4 - Manhunter!


I worshiped Archie Goodwin's and Walt Simonson's Manhunter from the moment I stumbled onto the first chapter tucked away in the pages of Detective Comics. The sales of the book had been a little slack since the heyday of the Batman TV show, so Goodwin, a veteran and Simonson, an up and comer were tasked with making it better. Simonson focused all his attention on Manhunter in the back while Goodwin wrote both the lead Batman feature and the Manhunter stories for Detective.


This little mini-renaissance lasted only a year or so with grand critical results, but apparently not great sales increases. The story of Manhunter, a hero stolen from the Golden Age and used for his genetic stock to build a tiny army for a cabal of rich megalomaniacs became their worst nightmare, using all his skills and weapons to defeat their plans. He was joined by an attractive team, but always it was the soul-searing story of Paul Kirk that held the stage.


He was a man who did not want to live and he was bent on destroying the men who had forced him to exist in this strange new world. Ultimately he was joined by Batman and the villains were routed and Paul Kirk was laid to rest again. Manhunter would return, but as far as I know the one and only Paul Kirk remains only a treasured memory.

Rip Off

10 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more, Rip. Manhunter is quite simply one of the greatest series and characters ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A beautiful gem, exquisite in its purity though so small.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. My first exposure to the Manhunter was in the Justice League of America, and I enjoyed him there, and have since read some of the Detective Comics stories, but one of these days I'll have to try and read the complete run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nifty read, I did it recently in the IDW artist's edition which showcases the Simonson art to fantastic effect.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  3. I remember reading the first instalment in Detective Comics #437 when it first went on sale in the UK, but it wasn't until the early '80s that I got to read the rest of the run in the first collected edition. I've now got the original comics, plus another one or two collected editions, and it was a great little run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot help but buy it every time they publish it -- too nifty.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  4. I was reading Detective Comics when they introduced Manhunter. I thought it was the coolest thing and I loved Simonson's artwork down to the sound effects. I was disappointed in the end because I was looking forward to more, but it was a great ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like a wonderful roller coaster ride, it's thrilling but alas too brief. It's why we ride the same coaster again and again.

      Rip Off

      Delete