Sunday, November 18, 2018

Favorite Heroes Countdown #13 - The Flash!


I really liked the Flash. From the moment I first picked up the comic book above I've been rapt by his story, the complexity of the worlds contrasted with the relative normality of his home life. I loved that Barry Allen was married, though I know that Iris West's backstory continued to get more and more complicated as time drifted by. Barry seemed quite literally level headed (his haircut don't you know) and was a great point of contact for the reader when the impossible adventures of the Flash unfolded. For instance, I was a completely novice reader at DC was not for a moment confused by the multiple Earths concept key to the story above which showcased Earth-Prime for the very first time.


Years later when the creators thought it more interesting that Barry get single again, my interest began to wane. Not only was the book missing the dynamic artwork of either Infantino or Andru, it was missing the core which made it run, a recognizably stable Barry. Eventually Infantino returned and Flash was disappeared to make room for his protege Wally West. Barry's death was a convenient out for me as a reader and I abandoned all DC for many years thereafter. Barry has of course returned as has everyone ever killed off in a comic and it all seems to matter less and less and less as the years tumble by.


But once upon a time I really liked the Flash. Part of me always will.

Rip Off

5 comments:

  1. Infantino designed a sleek simple costume that anyone with an ounce of artistic talent could draw, unlike Jim Lee’s later superfluous detailed outfit. Same would apply to Gil Kane’s Atom and Green Lantern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They keep wanting to screw with the design, but keep returning to the classic -- proof of its power.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. I'm still not sure why the Multiple Earths concept was confusing to readers. I picked up on it when I first read about it at seven years old.

    The Flash was the third DC character that I started reading. I really liked all the science facts that were included in each issue and my second career choice (after the job riding on the back of the garbage truck) was to be a police scientist. I sort of lost track in the mid 70's, but picked it back up when Infantino returned. I have no idea of anything that happened after 1983, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it only confused writers, not readers and so it had to go. It made for a great story, but at great cost for many years.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  3. I've always had a weakness for speedsters, then you throw in one of the best costumes of all time, and I'm in on the Flash. I liked Barry, but I think I liked Wally even more as the Flash. I can't believe I'm saying that, but there you go. And yes, death has sadly become meaningless in comics.

    Like you, Rip, I was never confused by the multiple earths thing, and don't know why DC had to mess up a good thing.

    I'm not a big fan of Infantino's art in general, but I seem to like it more in the pages of The Flash than elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete