Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Favorite Heroes Countdown #11 - Space Ghost!


Space Ghost might well have started it all for me and my love of heroes and comics and such. I was ideally ripe for the picking when Space Ghost burst onto the TV screens in the 60's and heralded a surge of superheroes on television and and a revival of the same in comics and elsewhere. The burst was relatively brief, but I was woke in its wake and never have gotten over the thrill of the adventures.


Space Ghost was designed by Alex Toth and in comics no one ever drew him better than the great Steve Rude, a talent who seemed to have imbibed the same elixers that I did back in the heyday. Space Ghost is enigmatic, assisted by two upbeat teenages and an improbable monkey they sail across the deeps of darkest space helping those they find and finding those they help all the while defeating weird menaces from across the void.


It's an ideal concept, one which has been somewhat tapped by DC in more recent years. Alex Ross is another artist who seems to "get" Space Ghost and has done some great work on the character. Space Ghost is ideally named because I truly think he's likely never going to die.

Rip Off

4 comments:

  1. I always thought Space Ghost (future), Birdman (present), and Mightor (past) were re-incarnations of the same guy, like Moorcock's Eternal Warrior.
    Pity Birdman was on a different network and couldn't participate in the "Council of Doom" multi-part Space Ghost tale...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That works for me. The three heroes work that way quite well. A recent viewing of Mightor made me realize he's the weakest of the trio in terms of story, though mighty indeed in terms of potential.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. I used to love the Space Ghost cartoon (and have re-watched some episodes on Youtube recently) but never read a Space Ghost comic.
    Isn't Mightor more of a Zandor from The Herculoids type?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved those cartoons. I always thought Space Ghost had the best costume and design and I'm glad he has continued because there was so much potential there. I was a big fan of the Mighty Mightor, too. I'll have to pull those up on a YouTube this evening.

    ReplyDelete