Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Favorite Heroes Countdown #3 - Judomaster!


It will come as a surprise to no one that Judomaster is on this list of my favorite heroes given the name and longstanding design of this blog. Rip Jagger fell into my hands when I was a tyke when my grandmother gave me some comics she'd found somewhere. There were two issues of Judomaster in the batch, the two halves of the second Mountain Storm saga and I was pulled into McLaughlin's martial arts mania once and for all.


Frank McLaughlin is the man, a trained martial artist who sought to bring to the comic book page an accurate representation of the skills which have formed the basis for so much exploitation entertainment over the last many decades. The thrill of Judomaster is the novel setting -- World War II. What we have is a re-imagining of the Captain America story minus the super-soldier serum. Jagger is a capable U.S. soldier who due to circumstances becomes trained in martial arts and adopts a persona to better wage war on the Japanese threat in the Pacific Theater. He is joined by a young boy named Tiger and this ersatz Cap and Bucky  proceed to kick butt. Judomaster's WWII setting is at once his blessing and his curse. His adventures felt like little else in the superhero universe at the time, but his isolation in time made his eventual teaming with other of Charlton's "Action Heroes" difficult.


Alas the line did not last long enough for that problem to really develop and eventually Judomaster like most of his Action Hero kin were snapped up by DC and blended into the background of that sprawling universe. Judomaster himself has been barely used but nonetheless multiple versions exist. But for me it will always be the original Rip Jagger stuff by McLaughlin which makes my heartbeat race a little more.

Rip Off

6 comments:

  1. There was a little bit of crossing over between Blue Beetle and the Question in that weird "Modern Art" issue of BB, but the Action Heroes each had such a unique flavor, that having an interconnected universe seemed a low priority. The fact that there wasn't much of a uniform house style was, to me, a virtue. Having said that, I always wished that Judomaster had been a bit darker and crazier, like Golden Age wartime comics. I do credit McLaughlin for being ahead of his time in some ways. Had he and Judomaster hung on for just a few more years, they would have been able to ride the Martial Arts wave that rose in popular culture and comics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been surprised that the character has not been used more. Maybe the WWII connection is seen as old fashioned these days.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. I have one random issue of Judomaster, which I picked up in a dollar bin a few years ago. I enjoyed it. I'll have to try and check out some more issues one of these days. I love the costume!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a delightful read, more like a Marvel comic to my mind than any other Charlton hero of the time.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  3. I would love to see a three or six way team-up between Judo Master/Tiger, Green Hornet/Kato, and Crimson Avenger/Wing.

    ReplyDelete