Monday, November 12, 2018

Favorite Heroes Countdown #19 - Birdman!


BIIIRRRRDMAN!!! That cry still rings in the corridors of my memory and the wings of my imagination. Birdman, one of the vintage Hanna-Barbera heroes created during their heyday following the success of Space Ghost. He was yet another great hero designed by Alex Toth.


We learned very little about Birdman from the cartoon save that he had a winged companion named Avenger and later a metal-winged partner dubbed Birdboy. He answered to a mysterious boss named Falcon 7 who sent Birdman on his missions. He was based in a volcano, a detail I absolutely loved. I ignore that abomination called "Harvey Birdman". That's for others.



Birdman made a few comic book appearances over the years in comics from Gold Key and later Archie, but it was not until the last few years when in the pages of Future Quest at DC that we learned the real secrets of Birdman. It's been brilliant finding out all these unknowns and I hope for more. I waited fifty years the first time, I can wait a little longer.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment