Thursday, November 1, 2018

Favorite Heroes Countdown #30 - The Hulk!


When I first broke into the comic book world the Hulk was just getting his own book (for the second time) and it would prove to be quite the successful run. I was much entertained by the artistic merits of Marie Severin and Herb Trimpe in those early issues which made much of the Hulk and his alter ego Bruce Banner as itinerant characters, roaming the globe with little mission or direction, but always encountering some dire threat which needed to be countered. Always the Hulk himself was considered a monster, a threat himself and so was chased by the military relentlessly.


As my reading days accumulated, I fell alway from the Hulk a bit, especially after longtime artist Trimpe moved on. Other heroes caught my fancy just as the wider world was discovering the glory of the green giant for themselves on television and magazines and beyond.


The stories which made such a fan of "Old Greenskin" are out right now in a handsome Epic volume. These are some of the juiciest stories in the whole Hulk canon, at least I think so.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. I thought the Hulk would be higher on your list, the Trimpe/Severin issues are my favourites too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making this list really showed me how many faves I have. The Hulk was high on the list in earlier days, but slid down over the decades with some of the offbeat handling the character has gotten. But for the sheer awesome Trimpeness of the book it had to get a nod.

      Rip Off

      Delete