Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Favorite Heroes Countdown #17 - The Spirit!


It took me quite a few years to grok the greatness of The Spirit, the magnificent comic noir hero created by the late great Will Eisner. Eisner's work on The Spirit was mostly unavailable when I first dawdled into the comics world, save for the Undergrounds, a few Harvey comics, and a single story in the pages of The Great Comic Book Heroes, a story which left me somewhat cold.


Later when I was able to see prime Eisner artwork in the pages of the Warren's reprint magazine, I fell head-over-heels in love with the character and the world in which he operated. It was simply fascinating evocative, rich with characters, and truly at times funny.


I followed The Spirit around to Kitchen Sink and have put together a pretty complete collection of those comics over the decades. When DC started their archives volumes I was just not able to participate and regret it mightily. I'd love to have all twenty-six tomes in my library, handy to read and savor. And I still might try to get them -- the Spirit is worth the effort.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Like you, it took me a bit to really "get" The Spirit. I found out about The Spirit during his Warren years. Then when I started reading Daredevil by Frank Miller, I was able to see what an influence Will Eisner was on Miller's style. I, too, would love to collect at least a couple of those DC Archives, but so far all I've picked up is their Best of The Spirit collection from years back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the Best of sets from DC and they are juicy. I want to liquidate some of my comics and use that value to get the Spirit books, but I haven't figured out exactly how to make it click.

      Rip Off

      Delete