Thursday, December 21, 2017

Another Book Of Demons!


I confess that when The Demon debuted at DC I was missing in action. I had become disillusioned with DC comics after they cancelled my beloved Fourth World saga (at least the New Gods and Forever People parts). The remainders of Mister Miracle were tepid absent the shadow of Darkseid and frankly neither Kamandi nor The Demon called out to me. I was wrong then and I have been paying for it ever since. And by paying for it, I mean I have spent my money getting the back issues, then the reprinted omnibus and now once again I buy The Demon. The reason is the sheer handsomeness of these volumes which offer a dandy page quality which showcases the art to its best effect. Jason Blood is a wonderful creation and the grinning Demon one of Kirby's most visually arresting heroes. I've done a detailed review of the series here at the Dojo before -- you can find them all if  you follow The Demon.

Here are the evocative covers of the issues in this handy tome.

















Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. What the heck is with the half empty text box on issue 15?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was probably a color hold, Dave, that fell out during production, meaning they had intended to have color lettering on an overlay. Lots of work by hand back in the 20th century.

      Delete
    2. I'm guessing Russ is correct. As far as I can tell, the missing words are "Kill Him!". Kirby apparently did a few versions of this cover.

      Rip Off

      Delete