Saturday, July 15, 2017

100 Days Of The King - Day 56


Some days I think Don Heck was Kirby's best inker ever. In fact Kirby wanted Heck to go with him to DC when he bolted from Marvel. That didn't work out at the time, though Heck did end up at DC a few years later on his own. If ever there was a hard luck figure in comics, it was Don Heck, who was one of the first talents brought aboard the Marvel ship when it started to sail. But he was eventually eclipsed by other talents such as John Buscema and Gene Colan on strips that he had started, or at least maintained after Kirby. He became a punching bag for fanboys and never to my mind got the praise he deserved in his lifetime. Me, I always liked me some Heck, especially the kinetic stuff he did while in his Marvel phase. His early Milt Caniff-inspired stuff is great, but I like the middle period of his career best.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment