Friday, July 14, 2017

100 Days Of The King - Day 55


This majestic Kirby art was a special piece showcasing The Forever People, the only one that Kirby drew which showed the New Genesis hippies actually in the "Supertown" they dropped out of.


It was first seen in the pages of The Kirby Portfolio, produced and available while Kirby was just getting started at DC Comics the third time around. 



The image has been used a few times, two most recently as cover art. Here we see it as the cover for both the recent IDW Artist Edition of The Forever People and as the cover of The Jack Kirby Collector's "Alpha" issue from some months ago. Both are still available to the Kirby fan.

Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. This one is in my top ten Kirby images maybe. You never see the Forever People in Supertown in the series. Love it too.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. I just finished reading the Forever People (the old B&W TPB from the late 1990s), and I was so taken in by the optimistic feeling from these youngsters, trying to make things right in this other world. I'm in the middle of reading New Gods now (from the same B&W TPB series), and the tone is so different. Now I'm starting to understand why these stories are the King's grandest masterpieces. After knowing Kirby's work for so long, I never knew I could be surprised like this. It's amazing!!

    ReplyDelete