Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Star Hawks!



I wish I owned these two ACE beautiful paperbacks. The Gil Kane covers are exquisite. This comic strip by Kane and Ron Goulart has been reprinted a lot of times, most recently by Hermes Press. But these paperbacks are the prettiest package I've seen.

The strip was also reprinted by Blackthorne (four issues) and Avalon (eight issues). I own some of the Avalon/ACG comics, though they are pretty primitive.



As it turns out there were also two Star Hawks novels from Playboy Press, both written by Ron Goulart and illustrated by Gil Kane, though Kane doesn't appear to have done the artwork for the cover of the second one.



Here just for the heck of it, is some lush Kane artwork.




UPDATE: Thanks to BookSteve, I now am the proud owner of these outstanding paperbacks. They are lovely.

Rip Off

5 comments:

  1. I have the two Ace paperbacks, but I've never managed to find the novels. Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some missions now. It's good to want things like these. It keeps it fun.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk about timing. This is your lucky day. I have the two Ace strip reprint collections and was planning on posting them to my sale blog today at ten dollars each. Let me know if you're interested at booksteve@aol.com. I'll hold off posting 'em 'til I hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's the limited edition promo poster from the 1970s.
    http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=16015&lotNo=17379
    I scored one at the Creation Con where Gil Kane promoted the series and handed them out to the audience. (and it was rolled, not folded) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve - I want them man, but once again, I can't seem to get in e-mail contact with you.

    Aarrghh!

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete