Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Steranko's Finest!


This is possibly the finest single cover that Jim Steranko has produced for any comic. I know that's saying a lot, but this poster shot of Nick Fury and his Agents of SHIELD against the Old Glory backdrop is just that awesome. Steranko might have done covers which were more clever, but I don't think he ever did another with this impact. This utterly demands to be purchased.

Somehow it did come into my mitts when I was a wee lad, because I specifically remember tracing the image of Fury over and over, sometimes using the figure as a template for other heroes. Great stuff!


And speaking of great stuff, there's no denying the awesomeness of the four page double-double page spread which forms the climax of the battle against Yellow Claw. I highly recommend the reprint volume of Steranko's SHIELD stories which has this great scene in a fabulous fold-out.


Great talent! Great artwork!

Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. Great stuff. However, I can't enlarge the images to read or scrutinize properly. If you go into 'settings', then 'formatting', and turn off the 'lightbox' facility, that should solve the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last cover reminds me--did you ever see Terry Beatty's faux-cover of Brooke SHIELDS, Agent of Fury!!? Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kid - Thanks for the info on the lightbox thing. I changed and it should work fine. I didn't realize I could do that.

    Steve - Haven't seen it. Must check it out. That cover has been swiped quite a bit. I think I have a post on that somewhere on this blog.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete