Friday, May 28, 2010

Bamf!



Of all the "new" X-Men introduced in the relaunch all those decades ago, Nightcrawler was always the one I liked the most. His look was really different, truly isolating unlike many of the others, and he had a great collection of powers. But most of all he tried to be a pleasant guy on a team filled with egos and I always identified with his plight. His religion also marked him as different in the comics community where such things were usually ignored.





Nightcrawler's origins are well documented it seems, though some of this was new to me. He was created as part of a team called "The Outsiders" by Dave Cockrum for inclusion in the sprawling Legion of Super-Heroes saga. But when Cockrum ended up with the mission to create new X-Men, Kurt Wagner was born.


I have no idea what Nightcrawler is up to these days, as I quit on the X-folk many years ago, but I did like his turn in the movies. And one of the great losses is that Dave Cockrum can never draw the character again, because I don't think anyone ever drew Nightcrawler as well as Dave. No other artist that I've seen has captured that blend of elegance and darkness, that special flair.

Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. He just got killed recently. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought maybe I'd heard that. Maybe that's why I was thinking about him. That's too bad, but at least dead they can't do too much to his personality.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  3. That 4 issue LS for Nightcrawler has always been one of my favorite series I have collected.

    Cheers!

    Steven G. Willis
    XOWComics.com

    ReplyDelete