Saturday, December 31, 2022

A Look Back!


As we prepare to say farewell to 2022 it's a propitious time to look back and see how the last annum actually performed. Compared to the previous two years overwhelmed with anxiety and dread, I have to give it high marks. The Covid pandemic has been beaten back to some degree thanks to vaccines and while still a worry it's not causing the kind of disruption that it did for quite a while. 


On the political front the dullard who once occupied the highest seat in my land has dwindled and I hope is about to go into the West. November's elections showed that his ability to pull forward his acolytes is minimal at best and the party which sold its soul to him is now at long last prepared to move on. They are far worse for the experience, having for the most part continuing to offer support to the lout even when he sought to overthrow the very government he pretended to lead. Hopefully he can go back to bilking his willing slaves and let the public business get on with itself. And it has been doing decently under our current leader, a quiet but effective president who actually does things instead of only ever just braying on about them. 


Women are the worse for this year though thanks to a Supreme Court that now seeks to make them second class citizens without full command over their own bodies. The constant irony of halfwits clucking about being "forced" to wear a mask while simultaneously applauding a decision which forces women to carry a pregnancy to term despite their own choice is grating to say the least. But the upside is that such decisions create opportunities for long-lasting change in laws across the land which will be immune to interference from church-going judges. It is in the hands of the people to rescue themselves from this assault. 


Here at the blog, I've been pretty happy with the results this last year. I wrapped a number of projects which I'd been meaning to get to for some years such as the Tarzan comic strips and movies last summer, and I was happy to at long last get a chance to read the DC Shazam series and report on it. I'm proud of the posts which related to the Holocaust and the book We Spoke Out. With Nazis putting themselves unashamedly forward in the public debate it's wise to keep such vigils. Last February's look at "Blaxploitation" was fun and informative. And the recent foray into martial arts masters such as Thunderbolt, Iron Fist, and Judomaster was a lot of fun indeed.  I've really enjoyed catching up on my Alan Moore readings and there is more (pun intended) of that come in the new year. 


I'm a retired bloke now with lots of time on my hands which makes me happy that I've held onto so much of the reading and viewing I've enjoyed over the decades. Now I have time to enjoy it all again at my leisure and with greater insight and even sometimes greater wisdom. That said, I continue to buy arguably too much new material. I need to explore the existing stacks and I make a vow to do just that. 


So, let's press ahead into the new year (as if we had a choice) and hope that things will get even better. It's not the things which creep behind us that will get us, it's what lies ahead.

Happy New Year by the way! Be safe out there. 

Rip Off 

10 comments:

  1. Here in the UK we've had a rather interesting year with 2 monarchs, 3 Prime-Ministers and 4 Chancellors (the Chancellor in Britain is like the Treasury Secretary in America). On a personal note I had a "smart" gas meter installed in June (I've had a smart electricity meter since 2019) and full-fibre broadband installed in November which means my landline phone is now plugged into my router instead of the old phone socket and a new fibre-optic line has replaced my old phone line. And 2022 was the first year that I never used cash at all because I've been totally cashless since November 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has been quite a bit of turnover in the UK for sure. And I'm impressed you've gone cashless. My daughters pretty much live that way, but I don't feel complete unless I have a few bucks in the wallet. The day is coming though for sure when I'll have to change, or maybe I'll be in a home by then.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for a great year, and try to keep your humor as we go right back into a presidential campaign cycle. Washington is going to generate Toontown levels of noise starting almost as soon as the big ball drops on Times Square.
    I moved into a new place just over a year ago and had to get rid of a pile of books and comics, which still gives me pangs at times. But there are some great places on line, like Comics Plus and View Comic.com, where I can console myself and see pretty much anything I want. I love physical books, especially art books, but when they start to encroach upon your quality of life it may be time to find a solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found I function best when I ignore (as much as possible) the news of the day which is increasingly dominated by cranks. This next year will be no different in that regard. I NEED my paper books, I CRAVE the feel and touch of them while I read. Online is fine but not nearly as satifying.

      Delete
  3. And let's not forget the SMELL of these old tomes. This experience will never be matched digitally. As I retired old fart myself, I have enjoyed the last two years of it and highly recommended it to anyone! It has given me the extra time to write articles for publication, build model kits and try and sort out the massive mess in my Sanctum. Oh, and I can get a lot more done around the house, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to do more around the house, but I spend my time reading and watching flicks. You are so right about the smell of old books, a used bookstore had an aroma like no other place on Earth.

      Delete
  4. Hey Rip, thanks for all the great posts this year! I had never read Moore's Swamp Thing and your reviews of those books finally prompted me to give them a try. Unsurprisingly, I enjoyed them very much! Here's to another great year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and glad my reviews did some good. More Moore is on the way next year.

      Delete
  5. A fun year revisiting some great comics of the past Rip . As for 2022 it's been another manic year with
    the threat of an escallation of an illegal war and the effects on energy prices etc In the UK as Colin notes chaos ensues the NHS is in turmoil and the long term future of the Union/ royals has never been so much in doubt ( not all bad imo) not to mention the ongoing mess of Brexit. Re online comics and books I'm with you, I need the actual comic or book as well but do need to thin out my collection. Anyway I look forward to more fun and interesting blogs in 2023. All the best to you, your family and your readers in 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you sir. Brexit bewilders me at this point. I have lost track of where it stands, though I've read a few articles about its potential effects. Hopefully energy prices will settle down, but I know it's harder on you guys that us over here in that regard. As for royals, my oldest daughter is follower (if not a fan especially) and frankly I cannot for the life of me figure out why it still lingers. But then we do a bunch of crazy crap over here, so best not to judge.

      Delete