Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Beneath The Dojo Of The Apes!


I love monster movies and science fiction movies and horror movies, and one thing they all have in common is apes. From Kong the immortal King to the amiable Cornelius and Zira, to a murderous monster named Satan, simians, apes and gorillas have shambled across the silver screen as long as the movies have been made. So I'm digging into the Dojo collection and picking out all those many many gorilla movies I've been gathering up over the decades and dusting them off for a fresh view. Coming your way are veterans like Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, George Zucco, Ray "Crash" Corrigan, Buster Crabbe, and many many more.


One focus will be on the myriad and varied rip-offs that popped up across the globe in the wake of the hubbub about the King Kong remake by Dino DeLaurentis and others. It seems everyone wanted a slice of that big monkey pie and some of the films which tumbled onto the silver screen must truly be seen to be believed. Actually I saw them and I still don't really believe them.


Also I plan to take some time to take a gander at some of those wonderful apes which have graced the pages of the comics over the years. DC Comics especially was fond of the gorilla and used them intentionally as a marketing device. All this and whatever else occurs to me and I can make time for before the witching hour strikes.


This month-long look at gorillas and such is dedicated to the memory of Ray "Crash" Corrigan, one of the finest ape men and my favorite of the lot. This October Halloween season the Dojo will feature devilish apes doing what they do best -- making monkeys out of men. Buy a banana and hang out!

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. My first ever Marvel comic was PLANET OF THE APES #5 (the British weekly) which had gorillas on the cover :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always liked gorillas in comics, they are the perfect critter for mayhem when needed.

      Rip Off

      Delete