Sunday, July 28, 2019

Frazetta's Goblin Queen!


What a memorable image is the "Goblin Queen" as she struts atop her ghastly minions, a sacrifice below embraced by bony fingers. There's no doubt that whatever it was, Frank Frazetta had it and a Frazetta image attracted eyes and dollars back then and still today. This cover for National Lampoon showcases Frazetta's talent for buxom beauty, horror and comedy. It's not a blend all artists can pull off.  And apparently it took Frazetta a few attempts to find the balance he desired. 


Here is what seems to be a sketch with the Queen on the other side of her monstrous horde.


And here's that same image with the titles attached.


It's a luxurious image, spitting out little details here and there for the eye to discover.


The art was used by Pacific Comics in the late 70's on one of its catalogs and according to reports, help spike sales significantly. Few can resist getting their mitts on a juicy Frazetta.

Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. Inspired a statue as well: https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=937950

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to get my mitts on that. Ahem...forget I said that.
      Thanks for the info.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. I like what you guys are up also. Such smart work and reporting! Carry on the superb works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it’ll improve the value of my web site . frazetta museum

    ReplyDelete