Sunday, March 31, 2019

Favorite Comic Artist Countdown - Runner-Ups!

Jay Scott Pike

The "Favorite Comic Artist Countdown" was an idea which was suggested to me by one of you last year when I concluded my favorite hero countdown. I loved the idea and immediately began to ruminate on who would make the list. It was at first a "Top Ten" and I found I adored the work of too many artists to limit it a mere ten. So it grew to twenty-five, then thirty and forty and fifty. I went with fifty for a long time until it just burst the seams and expanded to sixty. I then briefly contmplated making it seventy-five,but realized that it had to end somewhere and forced myself to stop. In the course of making the list names occurred to me and were on the list but then later came off. Some of these I cannot imagine what I was thinking, they are among my favorite talents. But there you are. S0 for your viewing pleasure here are the runner-ups.

Don Simpson
Rich Corben


Gray Morrow

Lee Elias

Al Williamson

Lee Weeks

Steve Epting

Brent Anderson

Ron Frenz

Wayne Boring

Curt Swan

Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez

Richard Grass Green

Biljo White



Now you know the names of some of the guys who won't be in the top ten, which will be unveiled early next month. Admit it, aren't you getting a wee bit tired of this. I"m not, but I bet you are.

Rip Off

8 comments:

  1. No I have to admit I'm quite enjoying your countdown Rip . It gives me an interest on Monday to Friday mornings along with my porridge and listening to the latest BREXIT fiasco , and before heading out to work Corben and Garcia Lopez however would be on my list though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On another day I might have both on my core list. It's like choosing among your children.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. You might as well ask if we are tired of comics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get tired of them sometimes, but it only lasts a few seconds.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  3. Confirmation that my guesses as to your top ten might have been correct :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always loved any book that JLGL drew. I think if he had drawn any book for an extended period, he would probably get more accolades than he does. His fill-ins were always great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point. He was hidden behind the scenes doing updated designs and never achieved the name recognition he's earned.

      Rip Off

      Delete