Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Favorite Comics Artist Countdown #21 - Nick Cardy!


Nick Cardy drew some of the most luscious and elegant images I've ever seen on a comic book page. I first came across his beautiful work in Aquaman but fell in love with his style in the pages of Teen Titans. Cardy was the ideal artist for that title, he gave the young heroes a romantically handsome appearance which seemed pitch perfect in terms of their age. Some artists drew them too young, some too old, but Cardy found that ideal niche and gave us believable superheroes who were young and brash and still capable. He also drew a a little western called Bat Lash, an oddball piece which was as much comedy as adventure, but then that's owing to its writer Sergio Aragones. Then for some reason Cardy was tapped to draw some covers for the DC and I couldn't have been happier. He drew the covers of some of my absolute favorite DC stories and he brought that idealism to the covers especially the ones he drew starring Superman. Nick Cardy fashioned many of my favorite images, a delightful blend of action and elegance.






Rip Off

5 comments:

  1. For me one of the best,if not the best cover artist ever. His Teen Titans covers in particular were spectacular (issues 14 and 28 two of my all time favs) The negative side of Cardy was that his covers were so good he "made" me buy some pretty rubbish comics based on those covers. And of course his strip art was just as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that same problem with Neal Adams. His covers for some comics were so fantastic that I lusted for years after some of them only find very pedestrian stuff underneath by other hands. Comic book covers are ads and Cardy was an outstanding ad man.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. I guess you could call yourself a "Nick Cardy-ologist!"

    *rimshot*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the heartfelt "Cardy-o-gram" amigo -- it arrived in the nick of time.

      Rip Off

      Delete