Saturday, March 23, 2019

Favorite Comic Artist Countdown #11 - Joe Staton!


Joe Staton popped onto my radar with E-Man #6 from Charlton Comics, It was love at first sight and Staton has been a favorite ever since. He along with writer Nick Cuti gave the world a total of ten delightful issues of E-Man, a smattering of Mike Mauser stories and a few fanzine pieces here and there and E-Man closed up. Staton jumped to Marvel and inked a bit here and there before hopping over to DC where he began to pencil again and again he was working on a favorite of mine, the Justice Society of America in the pages of All-Star Comics. He even drew their "secret origin". Staton was a stable DC man for many years after that and worked steadily on strips like Green Lantern and The Huntress. He also gave us a modern version of Plastic Man, the hero who inspired E-Man. And he had a nifty run on Metal Men. I didn't know much about these because I left all of DC behind for most of the 80's following the Crisis on Infinite Earths. Then when I was able, I found that Joe and Nick were kicking out new E-Man stories for Comico, then other Indy publishers and have continued to do so off and on over the decades until this last last year saw what Joe says was finale. There was another nifty character called Femme Noir which Joe did with Chris Mills. Now Staton is the regular artist on Dick Tracy and he's great at it. Joe Staton coming in a number eleven surprised me. I would've though Joe was in my top ten easily, but when I began to build the list it didn't happen that way. But who is in the top ten -- well you'll have to wait to find out. See below for more.








I won't be able to finish the list before next month rolls around, so I've decided to suspend the list until April. This list started as a top ten, then twenty-five, and just grew and grew, but I have to say it's been a ton of fun putting together. But those who have come to expect it, there is a another countdown to fill much of the rest of March, as I identify in sequence my top seven MAD Magazine artists. That will begin tomorrow.

Rip Off

6 comments:

  1. I loved Joes (and Nicks) initial run on EMan for me it was one of comics high points well written and drawn comics that were fun. I much preferred Joes earlier style at Charlton but regardless always enjoyed his work. Another that would make my list ad well .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you about his earlier stuff, it had a bubbly delight and charm which has lessened as his style has matured.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. I was looking forward to your top ten but I'm sure I'll enjoy Mad's usual gang of idiots :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Top Ten will arrive in due time, but until then MADness will ensue.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  3. I missed his E-Man work, but caught him when he arrived at DC. I loved his work on the JSA origin and I especially loved his stint on Green Lantern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the Green Lantern stuff I've seen very little of. I was a devoted Marvel Man at the time (family and finances forcing some hard choices) and couldn't hang in with Joe at DC. The JSA origin story is one of the finest DC ever decided to publish.

      Rip Off

      Delete