Saturday, March 9, 2019

Favorite Comic Artist Countdown #25 - Gene Colan!


Gene "The Dean" Colan was always part of the comics landscape for me and many other second-generation Marvel fans. We didn't know that Colan, like many of his colleagues at that time were returning Marvel artists, once having worked for the company long before under its Atlas title. But few of the new artists brought such a sophisticated world vision as did Colan. Colan drew stuff unlike anyone else, it seemed real, but as if it were a bizarre dark reflection of reality. His early work on Daredevil really to my mind made the title and he not Frank Miller is the definitive DD artist. DD was a character in search of a direction and had floundered despite artists like Joe Orlando, Wally Wood, Bill Everett, and John Romita having taken a stab. But it was Colan who found the way into the wacky world of Matt Murdock and his friends. When I popped into comics Colan had been tapped to draw a little comic called Marvel's Space-Born Hero Captain Marvel. He drew the origin tales in Marvel Super-Heroes and the first four issues of the comic itself before giving way to Don Heck and later Dick Ayers among many others. But it's Colan's visions of the darks of space which made Captain Marvel work for this young fan. He also drew a little one-shot tale penned by Arnold Drake title Guardians of the Galaxy. I wonder happened to those guys? Colan was a major artist for Doctor Strange and Iron Man both. Later in concert with Marv Wolfman Colan became a powerhouse horror maven when they fashioned the epic comic The Tomb of Dracula. Unappreciated by the bosses at Marvel, Colan left for the greener pastures of DC and took on Batman and Wonder Woman. Colan seem to work for anyone after that, with some good Indy work in his resume, again attempting to tap that horror vein he'd plumbed so well years before. But it will always be Captain Marvel and Daredevil that make Gene the "Dean" in my book.







Rip Off

11 comments:

  1. I'd nominate Tomb Of Dracula as Colan's best work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly his most refined. My fave though I've mentioned.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. I agree 100% and I want to add that I discovered from reading his Daredevils in the Essentials format that his artwork still looks just as amazing in B and W. Also I think Colon is responsible for breaking out of the six panels a page standard. His layout on Daredevil seemed to be based on four panels a page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True enough about the lack of color not really affecting his work that much.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  3. I never really got into his work during his days with Marvel for reasons I can’t really remember now. I was a little late to his work for one reason, and I didn’t read Tomb of Dracula. Maybe I should. When he went to DC and started on Batman, I came to appreciate him. He was perfectly suited for the Dark Knight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I never much cared for his Batman, but I think that was my prejudice for the styles that had come before.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  4. Another of my top 20 artists (maybe top 10) some of his work on Daredevil was out of this world. I saw most of my Gene Conan art in the UK 1970s reprints in black and white on larger pages than the US originals and they looked great. I missed Genes work at DC for some reason until I picked up a grab bag of comics 10 for £1 again very nice art but Gene for me is a Marvel artist and really suited those characters best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He drew the world as it was...almost.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  5. Especially loved his work on Dr. Strange really dark and suitable for this character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work on Dr. Strange the dark and atmospheric artwork gave the strip a great look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't speak enough of his Doc Stange work, it's a stunner and features his earliest teaming with Tom Palmer.

      Rip Off

      Delete