Saturday, September 1, 2018

Have You The Nerve To Face The Unexpected?


Expect the unexpected this month as I eschew a theme of any kind. Instead anticipate random posts about what catches my fancy on any given day. I begin that with a favorite cover of mine from the one hundred and sixth issue of The Unexpected. This compelling image is drawn by Howard Purcell and embellished by Jack Abel. The way the giant green faces loom over the somber alien setting just pinches my imagination. Also of note is the angular logo for the title.


Unexpected was was once upon a time Tales of the Unexpected, a venerable DC comic which featured sci-fi tales and even ran the series Space Ranger for a time.


When DC's comics took a turn toward the supernatural and wanted a more potent luster to its comics, they changed the logo for one issue.


And changed the title to simply The Unexpected the next issue.




The logo last only a short time before giving way to one which communicated the change to more mysterious and  supernatural stories.


That changed was refined and contained within an odd word bubble and this served the comic until just before its cancellation many years later.


And that's truly unexpected.

P.S. Some of comicdom's most famed and talented luminaries have passed away in recent weeks. I would not be unexpected at all to anticipate some proper attention to these legacies this month as well.

Rip Off

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your September posts, Rip, whatever they might be...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I since I don't really know what they'll be. I usually have a strong idea what any given month will be, but this month I'm intentionally not doing that.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. Those Tales of the Unexpected comics look really cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DC had some of the most attractive and alluring covers ever during this time. I remember seeing some of them in ads and lusting to read and own them. I've done that with more than a few.

      Rip Off

      Delete